Touch Network began with a letter. In 2015, Debs Carter wrote down her own story of overcoming severe depression, and sent it through the post to her friends, contacts and even some celebrities. She was amazed by the response, and invited others to also share their stories at a one-off event in a small coffee shop in Southampton.
Eight years and 100 events later, Touch has helped more than 260 people share their stories of getting through tough times. Now, we want to collect 100 letters to remind us where we started and what we’ve achieved together!
‘Dear younger self…’
Everyone has a story of overcoming a challenge in their life, whether it’s big or small. What do you wish your younger self knew about who you are now, and what you’ve overcome?
In your letter, you can share something challenging that happened to you, how you got through it, and what you’ve learned as a result. Express yourself however comes naturally to you! Maybe you want to write a poem, share a picture with words, or send us something completely unexpected?
We’d love stories about a wide range of topics, with a common thread of hope, resilience and positivity.
If you like, you can use the reflection questions below to help you get started, Or our team would love to help you write your letter – email [email protected].
When you send your letter, let us know:
- If you would rather it wasn’t shared anywhere
- If you’d rather it was only shared anonymously
- Your contact details, if you’re happy for us to get in touch with you
There are a few ways to get your letter to us.
- The simplest way is to write your letter online
- Email your letter to [email protected]
- Join us to write your letter at a free community workshop this summer
- Post your letter to Touch Network team, C/O October Books, 189 Portswood Road, Southampton SO172NF
- Drop your letter off to us at an upcoming storytelling event
- We’ll have everything you need to write your letter at all of our storytelling events and outreach until November
Writing your letter is a chance to celebrate yourself and your achievements, and to be part of our bigger celebration of Touch and our community!
The letters will be on display at our Winter Warmer fundraiser in November (more details coming soon!). We’ll also add them to My Amazing Story, our online storytelling hub.
If you don’t want your letter to be shared, or would rather it’s shared anonymously, that’s fine – just let us know when you send it in.